Have you ever had one of those places that everyone tells you to visit? That place, for me, is Oaxaca. Millions (okay, I am exaggerating now) tons of other artists have told me how much they love this place. They talk about the beauty, the color, the art, the music, the flavors, colors, markets, and the rich traditions. Artists go there and return changed, they are enhanced somehow. They are Illuminated by the culture and their life and work has more juice and spark after they visit.
I am thrilled to announce that Carla Sonheim and I will be co-teaching a mini version of our online class 2015: Year of the Spark, and the best part is that this workshop will be taught in person and in beautiful Oaxaca, Mexico!
We are delighted that the amazing Kathie Vezzabi is organizing this trip. Kathie explains: Our home base will be at Las Bugambilias, a family owned and run B&B led by the beautiful matriarch, Emilia Arroyo Cabrera. Seeing what Emilia wears each morning is a visual treat for a bunch of artists as are the place settings at our breakfast. The motto of Las Bugambilias is that “we do not receive hosts, we receive friends.” Emilia and her family and their staff truly do make you feel as though their home is yours.
There is so much to see in Oaxaca. Take the time during your visit to wander through some of Oaxaca’s museums to see the paintings of local artists, weavings at the Textile Museum, jewelry from silversmiths, handmade paper, black pottery, colorful alebrijes, and murals and statues the multitude of churches that abound.
Kathie has combined her love for food and and art by organizing tours to Mexico with Culinary Advertures, Inc. for the past twenty years. She and Marilyn Tausend have traveled with chefs such as Diana Kennedy, Rick Bayless, Susana Trilling (from Oaxaca) Roberto Santibanez and more. Joining us on this trip is Ane Elena Martinez, a pastry chef from Pubela, who coordinates details in Mexico.
Our time in Oaxaca promises to be filled with delicious flavors, artful adventures, new experiences and new friends.
While in Oaxaca you will “make stuff”
- Draw with Carla
- Paint a Mexican Muse to music with Lynn
- Make a mini book with Carla
- Collect and collage with “local flavor” with Lynn
- Draw and paint imaginary animals with Carla
- Create a mixed media and water color painting with both Carla and Lynn
- And whatever else these two come up with between now and when the trip starts – we are guaranteed to be dazzled by their creativity
The trip starts and ends in Oaxaca and costs $3100 based on double occupancy and includes:
- All the creativity noted above with Carla and Lynn
- nights accommodation at Casa de las Bugambilias
- all meals except one dinner
- an opening reception
- visit to black pottery studio with master pottery
- visit to a master woodworker of albrejis (the colorful wooden animals)
- Farewell Dinner at coveted restaurant in Oaxaca with special menu planned for us
- Market tour
- Visit to museum and paper store
- Art supplies
- Time to explore Oaxaca and its many artful offerings
- Opportunity to sign up for massages and/or a temazcal
- A new art tribe
Excludes airfare to/from Oaxaca and taxi to/from airport (approximatley 250 pesos)
The trip will be limited to 12 participants. Please join us! click below for more information.